A root canal may be needed if the decay has reached the tooth's nerve. Essentially, a root canal involves cleaning out a tooth's infected root, then filling and sealing the canal.
- An opening is made through the crown of the tooth into the pulp chamber.
- The pulp is removed, and the root canals are cleaned, enlarged and shaped.
- The infected area is medicated.
- The root canals are filled.
- The crown opening is filled with a temporary.
Why a Root Canal?
A cavity that has been left untreated can become larger. Once the cavity reaches the pulp of the tooth, an infection forms at the base of the root canal, causing an abscess. This abscess is generally painful and will need to be removed.
Post and Crown
A post and crown is used when there is not enough tooth structure left for retention after your root canal procedure to support a crown, a post will be placed upon the tooth root. Southeast Dental Group will then make a crown buildup around the post. After that, a crown will be placed on the buildup.
If you live in the Maywood area and are suffering from tooth pain, call 323-771-7777 and set up an appointment to have our office check your teeth and relieve your pain today. Don't suffer needlessly with tooth pain. Let the friendly staff at Southeast Dental Group help you smile again.
Sometimes the infection persists even after root canal therapy. In these cases, an apicoectomy, or root end resection can be performed to remove diseased tissue.
- An incision is made to allow access to the base of the tooth. The inflamed or infected pulp is treated and the canals are carefully cleaned and shaped.
- A small filling may be placed in the remaining tip of the tooth to seal the root canal. The gum tissue is stitched back into place.
- A crown is placed to protect the tooth.
Great service and friendly staff ! I would recommend this place to all my friends and family. They are so friendly and nice. Been going to this place for more than 10 years. I like the reminders, customer service, staff and how clean the place is kept. It's a great establishment which services many forms of dentistry. Been going there since I was young. Clean and very friendly staff. Dr. Feld is awesome and knowledgeable.